There is no reason to give up reading when it is made harder by conditions like decreasing vision or tremors. E-readers to the rescue! E-ink style readers the the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite or Barnes and Noble Nook Simpletouch are a great solution for continued reading enjoyment.
- Decreased eye strain as there is less glare than traditional paper- even outside!
- Adjustable text size! This is one of the BEST features for those with decreasing vision or when eyes get tired and you want to read one more chapter.
- Turn pages with a touch or swipe across the screen. Easier than turning a thin page for those with decreased sensation or tremors.
- E-readers are light and easy to carry. They often weigh less than a hard cover book! One e-reader can hold more than 1000 books and magazines so you will never run out of material. New books can be purchased from many sources including Amazon and Barnes and Noble or even borrowed from many libraries! While you do need an internet connection to download new books the transfer is instant so there is no need to go out to get a new book!
- The technology thing. Many are reluctant to try new things especially when they involve computers and the internet. Manufacturers have done their best to make use simple and most offer customer support that will walk you through the task. My local librarian was my go-to source when I got my first kindle!
- It does run on a battery so can run out of charge. E-ink readers do have a long battery life though and can go weeks without a charge depending on use.
- Oops! Being electronic an e-reader can break if dropped in the wrong way or if it gets wet.
Selling at this time for $60-130 an e-reader might be a great device for a book lover who is having trouble keeping up with their habit. We all know how important it is to keep the mind engaged and reading is the perfect activity for entertainment and learning!