What is not to love about reading? Learning new things, getting lost in a story, laughing out loud - I've had them all with a good book or article. As we age, reading can be a little harder. But there is no reason to give it up. E-readers to the rescue! A kindle can make reading so much easier.
- Depending on the model you choose, there may be decreased eye strain as there is less glare than traditional paper- even outside!
- Adjustable text size! This is one of the BEST features for those with decreasing vision or when eyes get tired and you want to read one more chapter.
- Turn pages with a touch or swipe across the screen. Easier than turning a thin page for those with decreased sensation or tremors.
- E-readers are light and easy to carry. They often weigh less than a hard cover book! One e-reader can hold more than 1000 books and magazines so you will never run out of material. New books can be purchased from many sources including Amazon and Barnes and Noble or even borrowed from your local library. While you do need an internet connection to download new books the transfer is instant so there is no need to go out to get a new book. Once it is on the kindle, you do not need an internet connection to read books.
- Some kindle models work like Ipads and can be used for email, Facebook - anything you would do on a phone or another tablet.
- The technology thing. Many are reluctant to try new things especially when they involve computers and the internet. Manufacturers have done their best to make use simple and most offer customer support that will walk you through the task. My local librarian was my go-to source when I got my first kindle.
- It does run on a battery so can run out of charge. E-readers do have a long battery life though and can go weeks without a charge depending on use.
- Oops! Being electronic an e-reader can break if dropped in the wrong way or if it gets wet.
Selling at this time for $80-150 an e-reader is a great device for a book lover who is having trouble keeping up with their habit. We all know how important it is to keep the mind engaged and reading is the perfect activity for entertainment and learning.
I am in no way affiliated with Amazon and make no money from plugging their products. But the fact that all I need to bring on a plane is my kindle and I have more entertainment than I could possibly consume, and I can adjust the font size as my eyes get tired, made me want to bring this reading hack to all of you.